J. H. Clissold was founded in 1910 by John Henry Clissold. The first premises were at Spen Mills in the small town of Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire. The business quickly out grew these premises and moved to Brookhouse Mill on Balme Road, also in Cleckheaton. Growth continued rapidly. John invested in his first looms and John’s son Joseph joined the business. J. H. Clissold continued to thrive and during the years was joined by Leslie, John’s grandson.